Ladies of Code is a monthly meet-up where you can hear in-depth, technical talks from leaders in their respective fields – all designed to help like-minded people develop their coding skills. And this month – at their Lightning Talk event – our very own Head of Development, Kimberly Blessing, delivered a talk all about Progressive Web Apps.
• Installing the app on the mobile home screen
• Enabling offline access to the app
• Allowing push notifications
Kimberly’s lightning talk gave attendees a succinct introduction to the three things a website needs to be a PWA and a clear business case for why companies should be investing in PWAs as opposed to traditional native apps. In short, to be a PWA, a website needs:
1. To be fully hosted on a secure (HTTPS) site
2. A manifest file
3. A service worker
Businesses who care about the following, should be interested in PWAs:
• Active, satisfied users – PWAs work offline and in low-bandwidth scenarios
• Fast, discoverable apps – Users don’t have to browse the app store to find PWAs (although the app stores are starting to show PWAs!)
• Engaging features – APIs are connecting traditional native controls to the browser
• Time-to-market and ROI – if you have a website, turning it into a PWA is faster and cheaper than building separate iOS and Android apps
Ladies of Code host a series of talks and expert workshops and you can find out more about the next meet-up – and who’s going to be talking – here.