A great opportunity to join the Dog team at a senior level; this role is fundamental to the smooth running of our technical team.
The Head of Development will lead their pack to deliver excellence in all that they do. You’ll work to lead a strong team of front and back-end developers and QA to help us manage the technical workstream across all Dog clients.
You’ll be working with across a number of sectors including the drinks industry, entertainment, finance, beauty and automotive; it’s a busy team therefore we need someone who can work in a fast paced environment with multiple deadlines at any given time, across various .NET CMS platforms.
You’ll be that great mix of technical expertise and people manager. Dog’s core values are all about continual growth and development of our people, and you’ll work with each and every team member to grow their career with Dog.
The role will also require setting technical standards across multiple platforms, and you will have experience and expertise for accurate scope estimation, problem solving and client relations. You’ll be expected to work with our client services and new business teams to help us win new clients; and help our clients make the most of their digital channels.
Our success has come from building a team that works well together – with our developers, designers, marketers, animators, project managers and client managers working seamlessly to deliver for our clients. This is your chance to join the team and help shape the future of Dog.
This role reports directly to the senior management team and has ultimate responsibility for our development output and the mentoring of the technical team.
You’ll be expected to:
- Ensure all teams members are motivated and aware of what is expected of them
- Ensure the team is aligned to our business goals and the technical requirements of our clients
- Foster an open culture with a focus on ongoing development and career progressions
- Ensure team members have clear and measurable objectives and career development plans
- Develop a strong working relationship with key internal stakeholders across all parts of the business
- Implement internal management and technical best practices within the team and ensure collaboration and communication is a daily practice
- Proactively manage project technical risks and help plan development approach for all web projects
- Set coding standards and review team output regularly with senior team members
- Set an annual roadmap for professional development and learning for the team ensuring our technical team remain at the forefront of technical standards and emerging technologies
- You will have an eye on emerging technology and new platforms, and enthusiastic about applying innovative thinking and solutions for our clients
- Have full responsibility for technical estimation for all projects
- Work directly with Dog’s senior team to deliver on new business pitches and proposals
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders in a clear manner; demystify technical details, translating technical terms into non-ambiguous laymen’s language for other colleagues and clients understanding
- You will have exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to facilitate business at all levels
- Work directly with our project management team to help ensure projects are scoped and planned correctly
- Be competent in Microsoft technology stack.
- C#, SQL, Azure, Web API, Javascsript, JQuery, ASP.NET MVC, VSTS, HTML5, CSS
- Have the experience and expertise working with CMS platforms. Experience of Sitecore and Umbraco is highly desired, but not essential
- Hold an understanding of website personalisation and the opportunities here
- Experience with relational database implementations
- Experience with non-relational database implementations
- Have exceptional quality standards including deadline management, code quality, code reviews, unit testing, continuous integration and deployment
- Leading a team
- Have lead the architecture, design and delivery of large scale consumer facing technology platforms
- Encouraging change, being a positive force for continual improvement and optimisation
- An astute problem solver; seeking advice from the wider team where necessary
- Commercially aware and focused on best-in-class digital output
- Excellent communication and presentation skills a must
- Strong influence within the business
- Great at forming relationships with your team, your colleagues and our customers
- Flexible and adaptable as a leader
- Enthusiastic as a team member
- Strong attention to detail
- Great at recruiting new team members and motivating a team
What is life like here?
Our Glasgow HQ is based right in the heart of the city, on Glasgow’s bustling Buchanan Street, with an open-plan, friendly, atmosphere. We’ve been around since 1996 and our staff retention is strong, we even have a number of Dogs who’ve been here since day one.
Our clients are global therefore we are working on briefs for some of the world’s biggest brands. We work closely with the teams in London and Asia, and travel is commonplace.
We offer flexibility in our working hours, 25 days annual leave (excl. bank holidays), training budget, private healthcare, Friday beers, staff parties, free fruit, a tuck shop (for when you’re in need of a sugar rush!) and reduced city centre parking costs.
If you’re interested in applying submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Head of Development". No agencies please.