Dog is an independent digital collective combining technology, marketing and creative design. We are looking for a QA Manager to join our technical team. You will lead the team responsible for overseeing testing of multiple web/mobile application sites and builds. You will be critical to maintaining the quality of solutions and ensuring our products are properly tested.
We are all individual digital natives in our own right. But we foster a pack mentality for every challenge or opportunity that we are presented with. We have a formidable attitude and value learning. We encourage thoughtfulness and collaboration, and take a straight talking approach to the way we work and how we communicate.
This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced QA Manager to to join the technical team in Glasgow as tester, lead, mentor and quality advocate
Summary of job role
As a QA manager you are expected to manage the quality assurance department at Dog, bringing both leadership and mentoring skills to the team. You’ll be directly responsible for improving quality awareness throughout the business and introducing techniques and efficiencies to improve project deliverables. You need to be a keen problem solver, with an ability to take a step back and think outside the box.
You will be expected to work on multiple projects at any one time, and have an excellent ability to retain domain knowledge. You’ll have the ability to manage and report on quality on a multitude of projects, to ensure client relationships are maintained. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential as you’ll be interacting on a daily basis with other teams, product owners and customers.
You will provide strategy and estimations for testing time on both detailed and limited briefs, which may vary in terms of testing effort required. You’ll be expected to manage and clarify scope and test effort for these, whilst being able to identify potential risks up front.
The role will require you to have a vast range of testing skills both functional and non-functional.
Five qualities for success in this role
The quality of our work is of paramount importance to Dog. As such, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the QA Department, including line management duties, which will cover management of a small testing and front-line support team.
- Provide an overall strategy and approach for managing testing of projects.
- Oversee and manage automation strategies and tools and existing automated regression test suites.
- Manage post release projects from a supporting capacity
- Scope and provide estimates for projects and changes (often based on the ability of other members of your team.)
- Meet clients and project teams to discuss test approaches for projects.
- Generate acceptance tests and test plans.
- Test CMS websites on Umbraco and Sitecore platforms, bespoke applications in C# .NET and APIs.
- Oversee the quality of work output by developers, address any improvements required, and recommend reward where work is exceptional.
- Mentor other testers within your team, whilst educating other teams in quality techniques and approaches.
- Mitigate risks and intervene if problems occur and provide suitable technical solutions.
- Work with different deployment techniques for our varying customers, including code reviews of deployment packages.
- Identify risks early in projects to avoid delays or potential cost escalation.
- Escalate any issues to the Head of Development where further action is required.
- Support the Head of Development in carrying out regular reviews and appraisals with team members, define and monitor objectives, and recommend any training needs where required.
- Liaise with the Head of Development where appropriate for the support of the company as a whole.
- Keep up-to-date on technologies related to job role, pro-actively and as directed.
- Organise and chair team meetings to share knowledge across the wider company, and to move your team forward with actions and non-project development.
- Monitor the studio schedule to advise in advance of areas of concern.
Essential skills & experience
- Ability to demonstrate a wide range of functional and non-functional testing skills.
- Automation skills, preferably Selenium WebDriver / Python.
- Working knowledge of and experience with continuous integration servers such as Team City and Jenkins.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience leading a team, or working as a senior team member.
- Commercially aware of project timescales and deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to think outside the box.
Based in our Glasgow office, you will report to our Head of Development and in addition to a competitive salary, will be able to access a yearly training budget, private healthcare, pension, excellent holiday benefits and a relaxed working environment allowing for R&D projects.
Please apply direct to our Head of Development, Pedro Graca, via email with your CV and cover note.
It's a very busy time here at Dog and, while we appreciate all applications, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Thank you!